We are pleased to announce our 2016 Summer Choral Workshops. These educational sessions offer an introduction to ensemble singing and are a great way to prepare to audition for one of our choirs or to get ahead on next season's repertoire. Thanks to the support of our donors, we are able to offer these workshops free of charge to the general public (advance registration required). Mondays, 7–9 pm at 2325 Union Street in San Francisco.
Solfège Bootcamp is a crash course in the fundamentals of music reading. If you can memorize the seven colors of the rainbow, you can learn the seven notes of the scale: Do, Re, Mi, Fa, Sol, La, and Ti. From its roots in medieval music theory to practical applications in the modern choral repertoire, this system of naming the notes will help you sing with more confidence and greater understanding.
- June 20: Solfège bootcamp I
- June 27: Solfège bootcamp II
Choral Reading Sessions will give you the opportunity to practice your music reading and ear training skills while exploring great works of choral literature. Learn to identify the particular challenges in any given work, and how to decide which reading techniques will be most appropriate.
- July 11: Standomi un giorno (Orlando di Lasso)
- July 18: Die Weihnachtsgeschichte (Hugo Distler)
- July 25: Selected motets (Johannes Brahms) just added
- August 1: Jesu meine Freude (Johann Sebastian Bach)
- August 22: Requiem (Herbert Howells)